‘Inside the Tower of London’ is airing tonight 8pm on Channel 5 and will show off some of the most iconic pieces in Queen Elizabeth’s jewellery box. While some of the Queen’s jewellery pieces were specially made for her, others were passed through a long line of British monarchs or gifted to her. Below are some of the most incredible pieces in the monarch’s jewellery box.
The Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara, worn by the Queen on May 22, 1978, was purchased in 1921 by Queen Mary, who bought it from the daughter of the Grand Duchess Vladimir.
It was eventually passed down to Mary’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth, and the tiara is now one of the Queen’s favourites.
On January 1, 1967, the Queen wore the Imperial State Crown along with the diamond necklace she had worn for her coronation.
The crown was made for the coronation of King George VI in 1937 and is set with 2868 diamonds in silver mounts, including 17 sapphires, 11 emeralds and 269 pearls.
In 1973, the Queen ordered the Burmese ruby tiara from Garrard.
The tiara is set with 96 rubies that were gifted to the Queen by the people of Burma as a wedding present.
She wore the tiara at a royal gala on May 30, 1977.
The Japanese Pearl Choker is a four-strand pearl choker with a diamond pendant, commissioned for the Queen by the Japanese government in the early 1980s.
She wore it on November 16, 1983.
It has been seen on the Duchess of Cambridge as well.
The Queen’s striking amethyst set, which includes a diamond brooch, necklace and earrings, is known as the Crown Amethyst Suite of Jewels or The Kent Amethysts.
The set originally belonged to Queen Victoria’s mother, the Duchess of Kent. Elizabeth wore it on March 26, 1985.
The Queen’s emerald necklace and matching earrings, worn by the Queen on October 14, 1989, are known as the Cambridge and Delhi Durbar Parure.
The tiara was called Queen Mary’s Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara (also known affectionately as “Granny’s Tiara”), which belonged to Elizabeth II’s grandmother, Queen Mary.
The tiara originally featured large pearls, which were removed on Queen Mary’s orders and refashioned into the Cambridge Lover’s Knot Tiara, a favourite of both Princess Diana and Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge.
For a state banquet in Iceland on June 25, 1990, the Queen donned the Russian Fringe Tiara, which she wore to her 1947 wedding to Prince Philip.
The Queen’s diamond and sapphire necklace and earrings, known fittingly as the Victorian Suite of Sapphire and Diamond set, were made originally in 1850 and gifted to the Queen by her father, King George VI, for her wedding. The matching tiara was made in 1963. She wore them on June 11, 1992.