Death Toll from Collapsed Donbas Apartment Block Rises to 35: Emergency Services

Firefighters extinguish a fire at a gypsum manufacturing plant after shelling in Bakhmut at the eastern Ukrainian region of Donbas. (Image: AFP)


Last Updated: July 12, 2022, 17:17 IST

Firefighters extinguish a fire at a gypsum manufacturing plant after shelling in Bakhmut at the eastern Ukrainian region of Donbas. (Image: AFP)

Over 320 tonnes of rubble had been cleared and 9 people rescued from under the ruins, the regional emergency services directorate wrote on Facebook on Tuesday

The death toll under a collapsed apartment block in the Donetsk region town of Chasiv Yar climbed to 35 on Tuesday, with rescue work still not over four days after the building was hit by Russian rocket fire, emergency services said.

Over 320 tonnes of rubble had been cleared and 9 people rescued from under the ruins, the regional emergency services directorate wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.

Andriy Yermak, chief of staff to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, said on Sunday the strike was “another terrorist attack,” and that Russia should be designated as a state sponsor of terrorism as a result.

Russia, which denies deliberately targeting civilians, said on Monday it had “destroyed the temporary deployment point” of a Ukrainian territorial defence unit in Chasiv Yar.

Read all the Latest News, Breaking News, watch Top Videos and Live TV here.



Source link